I am always on the lookout for books, videos, experiences I can give to my kids to help them grow in their relationship with Jesus.
Here are some hits from our house:
1. Jesus Storybook Bible- This picture Bible is great for kids in the 3 to 5 year old range (and for parents of any age!). It tells the stories of the Bible in simple, easy to understand yet powerful ways. As you read the stories, your kids (and you) will be pointed again and again to Jesus.
2. Action Bible: This is the Bible in comic book form, and will hold the attention and fascinate the minds and hearts of kids in the 6 to 9 year old range. The Action Bible is especially good through the Old Testament, and I have been amazed at how many details my kids remember from each story as the comic book form helps them to grasp the events.
3. YWAM Hero Biographies For Young Readers - This series of biographies tells the stories of men and women who have trusted Jesus with their lives and seen Him do remarkable things through them. We have read these with our kids when they were in the 5 to 7 year old range.
4. Torchlighters Series - Similar to the Hero Biographies, these animated shows tell the stories of many well known Christians and how God worked powerfully in their lives. We have watched these with our kids in the 5-8 year old range, and they have inspired both kids and parents alike!
5. Sponsor an Orphan- Around Christmas we have helped our kids develop and sell items they created (Christmas cards, Christmas cookies etc.) to raise money to sponsor an orphan. Along similar lines we have worked together to pack a box for Operation Christmas Child - our kids have especially enjoyed this one because after packing the box, you get updates from the program throughout the year.
6. Serve a Meal- Kids are sponges always soaking in new experiences. When we have served the homeless together, it has impacted our kids deeply. If you are in Dallas you can contact Austin Street Center to find out about serving a meal to the homeless.