Finding Your Prayer Language
Luke 11.1 Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.” 2 And he said to them, “When you pray....
There was something so endearing and dynamic about Jesus's prayer life, that those closest to Him, His disciples, asked Jesus to teach them how to pray.
It's clear from this story and from reading through the Gospels that, not all prayer is created equal, and that like the disciples of old, we must learn how to pray.
And just as He was willing to teach His disciples then, He is still teaching and shaping His disciples to be men and women of prayer today.
Below I have listed 7 books that I believe would be helpful for you, if you desire to grow in the vibrancy of your prayer life:
1. Everyday Prayers by Scotty Smith - This book has been so helpful to me in learning from Jesus how to pray. It is a daily prayer devotional that helps one learn to pray. The editor's description of this book is:
How would life be different if we could think, see, and do all things in light of the person and work of Jesus? With this inspiring collection of 365 Scripture-centered prayers, Scotty Smith helps readers pray the Scriptures through the lens of the gospel, mining the resources of God's grace and applying them in every season of life. He frees readers to abandon any posing or pretending in favor of an honest, no-spin relationship with a God who claims them as his own.
Each day includes a Scripture reference and an inspirational original prayer, born from both moments of great faith and moments of crisis. Like a modern-day book of Psalms, Everyday Prayers is a year's worth of growing in grace that readers will lean on year after year.
2. George Mueller Autobiography - Get taken into the journals of a man who experienced the power of answered prayer. Mueller established and led a number of orphanages while looking to God each step of the way to literally provide their daily bread.
3. Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret- Similar to the Mueller autobiography, this account takes you into the private prayers and remarkable fruit from Taylor's prayer life and how it continues to impact the nation of China hundreds of years later.
4. The Purple Pig and Other Miracles - Learn the history of the modern day prayer movement and see how Jesus is still training disciples to pray and the transformation that is birthed from the place of prayer.
5. Red Moon Rising - Similar to the Purple Pig, but from a European perspective, this book chronicles the modern day prayer movement that is being birthed in Europe.
6. Is That Really You God? Learn about listening prayer through the testimony of Loren Cunningham and Youth With A Mission. This will stretch your faith to pray and step out in faith.
7. Experiencing the Depth of Jesus Christ by Jeane Guyon. This book is several hundred years old, and chronicles the experience of a French woman growing in prayer. This book is incredibly helpful in learning how to pray and feed on the Word of God.