Margin & Mission Reading List
As we start our new series Margin & Mission, we wanted to provide some resources for you to go deeper on any of the topics in the series that strikes you.
- Margin For Rest (listen here)
- Margin For Priorities- 1/8/17
- Emotional Margin- 1/15/17
- Financial Margin- 1/22/17
- World Mandate- 1/29/17
Margin For Rest:
1. Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives by Dr. Richard Swenson- In this book Dr. Swenson writes about both the challenge in our current culture of finding margin, and the need to build margin- particularly in the areas of rest.
2. Your Vacation Policy Could Kill Your Startup. Here’s Why- In this blog post, business owner Alex Turnbull shares statistics on how rest and lack thereof impacts companies, as well as how business owners and teams can learn to build margin for rest.
3. The Sleep Infographic- Learn how much sleep the greatest athlete's in the world get as well many other fascinating facts on sleep.
Margin In Time
1. Ordering Your Private World: In this famous book, Gordon MacDonald writes about being driven vs. being called and how that shapes the way we prioritize our time.
2. 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Another famous book, Steven Covey writes about building your schedule around your priorities.
3. The Cross: Self Denial in an Age of Self Fulfillment: Pastor John Mark Comer speaks about embracing the cross and self denial as part of our discipleship journey with Jesus. This is a powerful message in thinking about our time.
1. Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazerro- In this book the author shares his own journey toward emotional health and gives a roadmap for "biblical integration of emotional health, a relationship with Jesus, and the classic practices of contemplative spirituality."
2. Emotionally Healthy Leadership Quiz- by the same author this is an enlightening, free online quiz about being an emotionally healthy leader.
1. More Than Enough: This is a sermon series we did on the generosity of God- how to realize it, receive it and be shaped by it.
2. What Would Happen If The Church Tithed- Incredibly eye-opening article on tithing from Relevant Magazine
3. Realign- by Josh Lawson on how to re-align your finances under God's leadership.