Gospel Rooted Friendships - Discussion Guide
Sermon Audio: Link
Jesus transforms every area of our life, including our friendships and relationships. God’s will for His church is that we would live life together in such a way that we support, love, encourage, and build one another up. The Word of God is our guide for how we relate to one another and the way we are to pursue friendships/relationships in Life Group and church community.
Read Acts 2:42-47 as a group (optional: split up into groups of 6 if your group is larger).
The main points from this Sunday’s sermon were drawn out of this passage. The points were:
- Cultivate your relationship with Jesus- “They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching...and the prayers.”
- Be faithful and committed, especially when it’s hard to do so.“And they devoted themselves to...the fellowship, to the breaking of bread…And all who believed were together and had all things in common....And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes”
- Walk in generosity toward others.“And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.” Note: generosity takes many forms in the scriptures...in addition to what this scripture says, in what other ways has your group been generous towards one another?
- Acknowledge God and his Holy Spirit working among you.“And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles....They received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people.”
Go through each point above and reflect as a group asking these questions:
- How have we lived this out personally and within our Life Group? How would this transform our group? (Leader Note: as the leader, lead out in this, set the pace, and share vulnerably.)
- In what ways is God calling us/you to be be obedient to this scripture and pursue this more?
- What practical steps can you take this week/month to live this out?
Ministry Time: Pair up (guys/guys and girls/girls) and make a plan to follow up with the other person and pray for the person you’re paired with that the Holy Spirit would grow them and envision them to obey what God is speaking to them and that the friendships in this LG would grow in depth and richness displaying God’s glory to the world around us!