House of Prayer Vision
As a church, we want to saturate Dallas with the Goodness of the Gospel of Jesus by leading people into authentic, life-filling discipleship to Jesus. For Christians, prayer has been a key environment and practice to experience this kind of fruitful life.
This pathway of spiritual formation is shaped by Jesus’s words in John 15, Jesus says, "5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples."
Our vision is to build a praying community- a house of prayer- that is simultaneously relationally formational (upward), transformational (inward), communal (around) and powerfully missional (outward).
House of Prayer Culture
Every community has a culture- a set of shared values that shape the life and growth of the individuals involved as well as the collective contours of the group. With that in mind we are seeking to cultivate a House of Prayer that embodies particular discipleship values-
1. Jesus is Our Treasure- We want to be a people that recognize the beauty and worth of Jesus. This shapes our praying because we realize prayer is not primarily transactional, where we come to God in order to get something, like He is a heavenly Amazon.com, but we come to the place of prayer to get to know and love Jesus in a deeper way, and we see that as a reward in and of itself. From that places of knowing and loving Him, the requests of prayer flow and God moves in power. You can listen more about this value here.
2. His Gospel Heals- Jesus's earthly ministry is marked by healing- spiritually, mentally, physically, emotionally and relationally. Likewise, He has given his church a ministry of healing. We desire the House of Prayer to be a place of holistic healing. You can listen more to about this value here.
3. His Spirit Fills- The disciples of Jesus were called to live a Spirit-Filled life- including all that that means for their relationship with God, their personal character and the way in which they ministered. As disciples we want to pursue this life in the Holy Spirit. You can listen more to how we approach this value here.
4. We Are Better Together- Jesus is a community builder. He is regularly pulling his disciples together in community. We want to pursue prayer in the context of church community- so while many times prayer is a time of solitude, we also realize the value in pursuing prayer within a larger context of community. Toward that end, we seek to embody the values of 1 Corinthians 13 in our relationships with one another in the House of Prayer. You can listen more to how we approach this value here.
5. We Are Blessed To Be A Blessing- Disciples of Jesus view their resources differently. Life is not found in the abundance of possessions and we recognize out God's generosity to us, we are blessed in order to be a blessing. Our hope is that the House of Prayer would be marked by good financial stewardship and generous giving. You can listen more to how we approach this value here.
6. Saved People Serve People: The heart of the Gospel is that Jesus came to save us, and in the scandal of grace, he did that by serving us. As disciples, out of a deep awareness of our salvation, we want to cultivate lives of humble service and want the House of Prayer to be marked by this type of servant lifestyle. You can listen more to how we approach this value here.
7. Found People Find People: As Jesus has found us, he calls us to enter into His mission of seeking and saving the lost. We want to do our part sharing the Gospel with our lives and with our words that many may come to know Him. We see the House of Prayer as being key to fueling this kind of lifestyle. You can listen more to how we approach this value here.
8. Transformed People Transform Cities: As we are deeply transformed by the Gospel, we bring transformation to our families, neighborhoods, schools and workplaces. The House of Prayer is to be marked by this type of deep and wide ministry. You can learn more about how we approach this value here.
9. We Won't Take This For Granted: In all of these things, we want to realize the amazing privilege it is to be a part of God's family and God's mission. Therefore we want to cultivate attitudes of gratitude as we participate in the House of Prayer.