Big Idea: Part of our discipleship to Jesus is helping others grow in their discipleship.
Read and reflect on these Scriptures:
Old Testament Reading: Psalm 145.1 I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name forever and ever. 2 Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever. 3 Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable. 4 One generation shall commend your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts.
New Testament Reading: 2 Timothy 2.1-2 2 You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, 2 and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.
Gospel Reading: Matthew 28.18-20 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
Questions For Discussion:
1. How do we see the beauty and majesty of Jesus in these passages?
2. Making disciples was the primary strategy Jesus chose to spread the message of the Gospel. How does that shape our discipleship to him?
3. Who is someone in your life that has lived this theme (Disciples Make Disciples) out? How did it impact you or others?
4. What has this looked like in your life?
5. What might it look like to experience more of this value in your life? What fruit would this bear in your life and in our world?
Practice 1: Ask God who has he put in your life that he is calling your life to disciple/mentor?
Practice 2: Listen to the teaching series on making disciples from Pastor Robert Herber found on our mentoring page (link here)
Practice 3: Talk with your Lifegroup about discipling someone.
1. Which of these practices have been a part of your discipleship to Jesus?
2. After taking some time to pray, how do you sense the Holy Spirit leading you to respond in regards to what we have talked about today?