SCHOOL OF TRANSFORMATION
Hello Prospective Student!
We are thrilled about all that God has in store for you this upcoming Fall of 2017! Fall offers a unique time for new and exciting opportunities as many people begin new jobs or seek new advancements in the workplace, kids start back to school, people settle into new neighborhoods, and sporting events start back up providing great opportunities for fun and friendships. All of these activities are great and necessary for building successful careers, family life, and relationships in the community.
However, have you thought about what investment you’ll be making into developing a satisfying, successful and enduring life in God for you and your family? The Apostle Paul told young Timothy to “train [himself] for godliness…for godliness is of value in every way, holding promise for the present life and also for the life to come.” Being intentional about training for a life of godliness and devotion to Christ is one of the wisest decisions you’ll ever make. An investment in spiritual training will have an immeasurable eternal impact not only you, but also on your spouse, children, family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, and even strangers you’ve yet to meet.
The past 25 years, in Antioch Discipleship Schools we have seen thousands of people come into new realities of freedom, devotion, purpose, and joy in their lives as they invested their time and energy to pursue all God has for them and be equipped to live it out in their everyday context. Through consistent times of worship, prayer, Biblical instruction, and the practical application of the kingdom values and spiritual disciplines students’ lives have been radically transformed. You’re next! We invite you to consider joining us for Antioch Discipleship School this Fall 2017 in a life-changing pursuit after the person of Jesus Christ!
For King Jesus,
School of Transformation Director
COURSE OVERVIEW | FALL 2017
The School of Transformation is a semester spiritual growth experience centered around the promise and invitation of Jesus Christ in John 14:12 “I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father”. We believe Jesus is not a liar and that He can transform us to actually live has he lived and do what he did!
The School of Transformation is embedded in the context of our local church, Antioch Dallas, and is designed for adults of all ages, backgrounds, occupations, and stages of life focused on spiritual practices that will help disciples have a vibrant relationship with Jesus and live like Jesus in their everyday context. The school accomplishes this goal by immersing students in the Scriptures, equipping students with practical activation of spiritual disciplines and kingdom values, and fostering an atmosphere of openness and hunger toward the Holy Spirit.
August 27th Registration Deadline
September 1st-3rd Opening Retreat
September 10th First Class Meeting
December 10th Last Class Meeting & Final Exam
January 2nd-10th School of Transformation Mission Trip (approximate dates)
- Step ONE – Review Course Overview & Submit “I’m Interested” online form. We’ll contact you with how to take next steps!
- Step TWO – Complete “Get to Know You” Profile
- Step THREE – Sign-Up for Orientation Interview with School of Transformation Staff
- Step FOUR – Upon Acceptance, Sign Commitment Form and Pay Deposit
- Step FIVE – Get Prepared, any Pre-Reading, gather prayer support
- Due to the generosity of our church family, we are able to underwrite most of the cost of the school for the Fall 2017 term out of the tithes and offerings of our church. This is really exciting! There is some cost we require students to pay as well. They are:
- Tuition: $250 individual | $500 couple | $500 family
- Cost covers all supplies, books, materials, retreats, some meals, activities, and outreach materials.
- Payment Dates: $100 deposit is due upon acceptance to the School of Transformation with signed Commitment Form. Remaining $150 is due the first day of class. *Refund Policy: Deposit and Tuition is non-refundable
THE BASIC SCHEDULE
Class Times: Sunday Nights 5:00pm-8:00pm & one Friday Night or Saturday Morning a month
- Basic class time includes corporate worship and prayer, teaching, and ministry time. Some days include group Bible study, discipleship groups, activation of spiritual gifts, and training with ministry areas.
- Families/Parents: We desire The School of Transformation to be a family friendly experience! Therefore, we provide age appropriate children’s ministry for kids nursery age through 6th grade during class times where your kids will be taught the Word of God and be equipped to follow Jesus.
- Tardies & Absences: Students are allowed one pre-approved absence and one emergency absence during the school.
Ministry Service Track: Sunday mornings, various other times (1-2 hours every other week)
- Each student will be connected with a ministry area in our local church to use their gifts in serving while being equipped for ministry in that particular area. Students will serve in their ministry area every other week at minimum. While many of the volunteer times take place on Sunday mornings during church services, others take place during other times (i.e. Leading a Life Group). You are allowed to serve in more than one area if you desire.
- *Families and individuals with challenging schedules/variables can participate in a modified service track. Please address this in your Orientation Interview with School of Transformation Staff.
- Ministry areas include: Worship/Media | Children | Youth | Welcome Home | Outreach | Prayer/Prophetic | College | Life Group Leading
Life Group: Various nights of the week (1-2 hours a week)
- We highly value community at Antioch, the primary vehicle for facilitating this community is our Life Groups. We ask for all students to be a part of a Life Group where they are giving and receiving as an active part of Christian community.
Collective Gatherings: Sunday mornings (1-2 hours a week)
- Our Sunday morning, church-wide gatherings for worship, prayer, Bible teaching, and fellowship are an integral part to the vision, unity, and mission of our church. We ask students to be active participants in our Collective Gatherings by attending a service ready to engage and by serving faithfully in their ministry area.
TEACHING TOPICS COVERED
The teaching curriculum for the School of Transformation is comprised of 3 key areas that will be developed through class time teaching, Bible reading/study, outside books, and other assignments.
- Character of God
- Person & Work of Jesus
- Person & Work of Holy Spirit
- The Word of God
- Identity in Christ
Living Out Kingdom Values:
- Devotional Life
- Spiritual Disciplines
- Sharing the Gospel
- Ministering to the Poor
- Fruit of the Spirit
- Servant Heart
- Holiness & Purity
- Time Management
- Freedom in Christ
Reading and Assignments: There will be a variety of reading and writing assignments giving students opportunities to learn and grow in Christ. You can expect a stretching, but doable amount of outside reading (about one book every 3-4 weeks). It’s all amazing and transforming content!
Basic weekly reading includes:
- Daily reading assignments from Scripture (1-2 chapters a day)
- Short weekly written journal reflection on the week’s Bible Reading
- Reading assignments from selected books (One book every 3-4 weeks)
- 4 book reflection papers (one page each)
- Occasional assignments relating to the classroom teachings
- There is one final exam at the end of the class in December
Students will be instructed and coached in various spiritual disciplines that are vital to spiritual growth in Christ. Students will have the opportunity to see these disciplines modeled and be helped to put them into practice in their everyday world in tangible, doable, and sustainable ways!
- Devotional Time – Spending time with God everyday (Bible reading, worship, and prayer)
- Sabbath – Learning to rest well, be renewed, and live within healthy margin
- Evangelism – Learning to share your testimony and share the gospel with others
- Stewardship – Learning to honor God with your time, talents, and resources
- Scripture Memory – Memorizing up to 2-3 verses each week
We believe the Scriptures give us freedom/grace in many of these areas where some traditions of men have drawn black and white lines. We do not want to have a legalistic culture, however, in order to maintain a unified, rich environment that will provide the best opportunity for each student to experience the fullness of what God has for them personally and corporately during this school, we feel it is important and wise that we set a community focus and standard in the following areas:
- Dating – We ask that students not begin new dating relationships during the school
- Media – Abstain from media that dishonors God or distracts you from receiving God’s best
- Alcohol/Tobacco – Abide by Biblical guideline. Do not get drunk, do not be addicted, do not cause your brother/sister to stumble, be high above reproach.
A huge part of the School of Transformation is the Activation Mission Trip where students get the opportunity to put into practice, live-out, and see first-hand many of the things learned throughout the course of the school. This mission trip is optional but HIGHLY ENCOURAGED.
- Approximate Dates: January 2nd-10th
- Cost: Approximately $1,500 (not included in tuition)
- Details: More details regarding dates, travel info, documents, packing lists, etc. for this trip will be available for students at the beginning of the school.
- Trip Location: TBD (Likely Central/South America)
- *Raising Funds: Students will be encouraged and given tools for raising support for their trip, but each student is responsible for raising their funds.
Email questions about the School of Transformation to firstname.lastname@example.org