Big Idea: The Gospel is the power of God for our salvation, restoration and healing.
Read and reflect on these Scriptures:
Old Testament Reading: Isaiah 53.4-5
Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed.
New Testament Reading: Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
Gospel Reading: Matthew 9:35-36
And Jesus went throughout all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom and healing every disease and every affliction. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
Questions For Discussion:
1. How do we see the beauty and majesty of Jesus in these passages?
2. What do these passage teach us about life?
3. How have you experienced Jesus and the Gospel as a source of healing in your life?
4. What might it look like to experience more of the healing power of the Gospel in your life?
Here are three practices that Zach recommended to help us practice this.
Practice 1: Confession of Sin- When we regularly practice confession of sin, this practice releases the healing power of the Gospel in our lives.
Practice 2: Healing prayer- God heals us from both emotional wounds and physical sickness through prayer. If you need healing from emotional wounds, we recommend receiving prayer ministry. You can ask one of our staff pastors to connect you with someone gifted in this regard if that is a next step for you.
Practice 3: Relation Repair- we release more of the healing power of the Gospel in our lives as we seek forgiveness from those whom we have sinned against, and as we practice forgiveness toward those who have sinned against us.
- Which of these practices have been a part of your discipleship to Jesus?
- After taking some time to pray, how do you sense the Holy Spirit leading you to respond in regards to what we have talked about today?