Big Idea: As we are transformed by the Gospel, we are used by God to transform cities.
Read and reflect on these Scriptures:
Old Testament Reading: Jeremiah 29:4-7
“4 Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: 5 Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce. 6 Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease. 7 But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.”
— JEREMIAH 29:4-7
New Testament Reading: Acts 1:8
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
— ACTS 1:8
Gospel Reading: John 4:39-42
“39 Many Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me all that I ever did.” 40 So when the Samaritans came to him, they asked him to stay with them, and he stayed there two days. 41 And many more believed because of his word. 42 They said to the woman, “It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world.””
— JOHN 4:39-42
Questions For Discussion:
1. How do we see the beauty and majesty of Jesus in these passages?
2. How does the Gospel transform us? List a few ways. When it transforms us, how does it transform the way we live and work in our cities?
3. Who is someone in your life that has lived this theme (Transformed People Transform Cities) out? How did it impact you or others?
4. What has this looked like in your life?
5. What might it look like to experience more of this value in your life? What fruit would this bear in your life and in our world?
Practice 1: Gather in your Lifegroup and discuss ways you can be a part of seeing the city transformed with the Gospel.
Practice 2: Join a regular service project like our Heart For The City service days, Austin Street Center, or Forerunner Mentoring.
- Which of these practices have been a part of your discipleship to Jesus?
- After taking some time to pray, how do you sense the Holy Spirit leading you to respond in regards to what we have talked about today?